We adopted the double diamond design process - converging and diverging as we moved from the research phase to ideation to the implementation stage. While my teammate and I equally contributed throughout the design process, I took lead in certain parts of the process- user research, literature review, prototyping and writing the paper.
My teammate and I visited 3 hospitals and interviewed 4 obstetricians, 2 midwives, and 3 pregnant women. We also conducted a survey with 10 women who recounted their pregnancy experience.
More than 18 challenges across the antenatal, intrapartum, and postpartum phases of pregnancy were identified and grouped under three main themes:
(a) to provide better moral, emotional and physical support for the pregnant woman
(b) to enhance access to quality care
(c) to provide adequate pregnancy-related information to the pregnant woman and her family.
I compiled our user research and literature review insights into a systems map (below). For a detailed literature review and user insights, please read our publication.
How might we reduce anxiety and improve the pregnancy experience in low-resource settings?
Based on the identified needs and gaps, we generated ideas using techniques like brainstorming and synectics. We listed the advantages, disadvantages, and uniqueness of each idea.
The retained ideas were then sorted and bundled. Concrete concepts were created using methods like ‘idea bundling’, ‘relational mapping’, and ‘mashups’.
We rated each concept based on its feasibility and impact along the scale of 1-5 (1=lowest, 5=highest). This evaluation helped in eliminating ideas with a comparatively low-impact and low-feasibility rating. The concepts in the image below have been mapped on a 2x2 matrix based on impact and feasibility scores.
Forms were explored with clay. The final form was chosen as it was comfortable to grasp and the sensors were placed at positions that were intuitive for users to check their vitals.
The texture and feel of the product were first simulated by creating a low fidelity mockup using readily available objects like latex balloons (filled with grains or liquids). The high-fidelity prototype was then made using silicone.
Two prototypes were made- one for the look and feel, and the other for testing the electronic's functioning.